Saturday, February 13, 2010

Land of Colours


"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Morocco



I don't remember exactly when Morocco snuck into my head as a travel destination but on my 21st birthday my mum gave me a lonely planet 'morocco' book that led to many hours of daydreaming in my final year at Cornell.

2 1/2 years passed and Morocco never seemed to make it into the travel plans until, sitting in the guides' house on a rare afternoon off between trips down the Orange, my friend Scott put on a random Taylor Steele film - "Sipping Jetstream".

In the opening scene the camera waves through a crowded souq, early morning sunlight reflecting off brightly coloured carpets and cloths, while chickens, children and dogs dodge between stalls overflowing with olives, almonds, and spices.

"The world is a book, and those who don't travel read only one page...What no one tells you is that the book is no easy read. There's one thing I can say - whatever it is that you're looking for - beauty, salvation, enlightenment, danger...or just to disappear - this will only be a fraction of what you find. I'm just trying to read the whole book".


And so began plans for the next adventure...